4.02.2014

Fear of the Lord

This is part 2 of a 3 part series.
Part 1: Wisdom
Part 3: Unite my heart

The bible is filled with the phrase, "fear of the Lord".

As I shared on my previous post on Wisdom, I began on a quest to find out the meaning of "fear of the Lord".

I had not studied what it means to fear the Lord before. I simply understood it as being in awe of Him.

As I read the bible, I began to realize that I was barely scratching the surface. Based on what I was reading my life did not represent me 'being in awe of Him' who created the heavens and the earth.

The Proverbs is filled with verses that say, Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, the beginning of wisdom, is the hatred of evil, is the fountain of life, and on and on. Fear of the Lord obviously leads to great things.

After reading these I thought to myself, 'I thought I had some knowledge and wisdom but I'm not so sure if I even have the fear of the Lord. Am I in awe of Him? Do I have hatred of evil? Do I completely hate the sinfulness in me? Don't I justify some of my sins, believing it's not that bad?'

I came to a conclusion that I didn't have fear of the Lord. If I had it, how could I say that I have any wisdom or knowledge when fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and knowledge?

Proverbs 16:6

"By steadfast love and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for, and by the fear of the Lord one turns away from evil."

Proverbs 3:7

"Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil."

Why do I keep on sinning and not turning away from evil? The answer was simple. I do not fear the Lord.

I've been fooling myself thinking that I have a some wisdom and knowledge. God humbled me.

Luke 12:4-5

“I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him!"

I came to a place where I was on my knees, "Lord, what does it mean to fear you? I don't want to just say that I fear you. I want to really fear you."

I needed to search for an answer like it was hidden treasures to understand the fear of the Lord.

Psalm 86:11 was a crucial verse in my discovery.

"Teach me your way, O Lord,
that I may walk in your truth;
unite my heart to fear your name."


What I discovered was a united heart is necessary to have fear of the Lord. Simple, right? But what does it mean to have a united heart?

Another discovery came from Malachi 3:16 where I noticed that to fear the Lord is to esteem His name.

A more recent discovery comes from Proverbs 28:14:

Blessed is the one who fears the Lord always,
but whoever hardens his heart will fall into calamity.


So a hardened heart contrasts with having fear of the Lord. Makes sense. So I need a soft, humble heart toward God. I'm not wiser than God. He knows best.

We need to meditate and be in awe of His steadfast love, His greatness, so that I will fear His name.

By the way, here are two verses that immediately humbles me big time.

God speaks in Job 38:4

“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding.


1 Corinthians 4:7

For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?

Based on my findings in scripture so far, it was becoming clear that wisdom comes from reading God's word, praying, asking God, meditating(thinking, pondering about things read), being devoted to him, and having fear of the Lord.

Still there was a question still lingering in my heart. Based on Psalm 86:11, a united heart is necessary to fear the Lord, and I wanted to search the scriptures to find anything related to 'unite my heart' to know what it really means.

Next post, Unite my heart.

This is part 2 of a 3 part series.
Part 1: Wisdom
Part 3: Unite my heart