4.01.2014

Wisdom

This is part 1 of a 3 part series.
Part 2: Fear of the Lord
Part 3: Unite my heart

We want to be wise, don't we? We want wisdom as we journey through life.

One of the things that I often pray is, "Lord, give me wisdom and understanding." I think I added this to a list of things I pray for because I heard someone pray it, and I liked it. There wasn't much thought put into it.

Where do we get wisdom from? Do we automatically become wiser as we get older and experience life more?

One morning in March of 2012 God put these questions in my heart, so I searched the scriptures for answers.

The search resulted in a wonderful journey of digging through scripture, praying, meditating and the Holy Spirit opening my eyes to the wonderful that are in His words regarding wisdom, the fear of the Lord and having a united heart.

The book of Proverbs is where I began.

Proverbs 2:6 says, "For the Lord gives wisdom."

We see from Solomon that he asked God for wisdom. And God was pleased at the fact that Solomon asked for wisdom and not possession, wealth, honor etc., and God granted him wisdom and knowledge.

1 King 3:9-10

"Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?

It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this."

2 Chronicles 1:10-12

"Give me now wisdom and knowledge to go out and come in before this people, for who can govern this people of yours, which is so great?"

God answered Solomon, “Because this was in your heart, and you have not asked for possessions, wealth, honor, or the life of those who hate you, and have not even asked for long life, but have asked for wisdom and knowledge for yourself that you may govern my people over whom I have made you king, wisdom and knowledge are granted to you."

My first discovery was this: God is the one who gives wisdom and asking him for wisdom actually pleases him. Ok then, I'm on it!

But, now that I know that God is the one who gives wisdom, do I just pray for wisdom then sit back and relax?

Not according to the following verses. It requires some work: call out for insight, seek it like silver, search for it as for hidden treasures.

Proverbs 2:1-5 says:

"My son, if you receive my words
and treasure up my commandments with you,
making your ear attentive to wisdom
and inclining your heart to understanding;
yes, if you call out for insight
and raise your voice for understanding,
if you seek it like silver
and search for it as for hidden treasures,
then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God
."


Also, Proverbs 9:10 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,..."

There are multiple verses that says the following: "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, the beginning of knowledge, the fountain of life, the hatred of evil etc....

First of all, it's clear that the fear of the Lord is a big deal. According to multiple verses, it became clear to me that fear of the Lord is necessary if I want any kind of wisdom or knowledge.

I asked myself, "Have I searched to understand the fear of the Lord as for silver or hidden treasure?" The answer was a clear "No."

When it's time to purchase any item for myself or my family, I put in a lot of energy and hard work to search for the best product I can get at the best price. I care about myself way too much. ME, ME, ME ME. What a selfish little booger:)

God convicted me of my lack of pursuit of Him. So the pursuit of Him and the pursuit for "beginning of wisdom and knowledge" began.

A quest began to find out, "What is fear of the Lord?" and "What does it mean to have the fear of the Lord?"

Read what I learned on the next post, Fear of the Lord.

This is part 1 of a 3 part series.
Part 2: Fear of the Lord
Part 3: Unite my heart